Tuesday, September 21, 2010

About ROBERT FROST

Robert Frost (1874-1963), four-time Pulitzer Prize winning American poet, teacher and lecturer wrote many popular and oft-quoted poems including “After Apple-Picking”, “The Road Not Taken”, “Home Burial” and “Mending Wall”;

http://www.online-literature.com/frost/

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had won them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on the way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.





I read only one poem of his pieces.
'The Road Not Taken' He is telling to his youth that
'Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.'

This poem is quite famous in South Korea. Because it was once set exam questions, the test was the most important test for high school students because this test was for entrance of universities.
However, it was the first and the last poem written in English of the entrance test.

I think this poem implies negative meanings. Since the title is about the Road not taken. If the poet was satisfied with his choice, he would like to talk about the Road that he taken, but he didn't. Therefore, I think he is trying to reveal that he is missing that the road that he didn't take.

Anyway,
At the first, I misunderstood the sentence ' I took the one less traveled by,' as
'I took the one less difficult.' by my poor English. Therefore, I thought he was regretting,
HOWEVER, he didn't ... maybe.. I'm not sure because it's poem. The poet put various meaning in one word. I'm pretty sure that this poem is about the decision.
We have to the face the situation that we should make a choice. Every single time
even when we are having a breakfast, we are choosing our breakfast between bagels and cereals.
However, what about more serious and heavy topics?

I recently decided to go back to my country in February 2011. I was thinking about to transfer to Northeastern University. However, because of my age, finance limitation and the career that I want to be, I decided to go back to my country as soon as possible.

Learning English have been my dream since I was a very young. And that was the reason why I came to here, Salem, MA.

I learned a lot from SSU ESL program. I made a lot of good friends here, they are more like family to me now and teachers I met were all great and sweet!! I can't forget them forever. Also, I could study business finance in Northeastern University if I decided to stay here longer.
All of those that I mentioned are the opportunity costs.
I hope the profit from decision is bigger these opportunity costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment